How to Thrift like a Pro

How to Thrift like a Pro

Hey everyone! 

I took a little break in the past two weeks to focus on finishing my first term of online school and moving around a little bit. But now I am back and I’m super excited to share with you some of my favorite thrifting tips :) 


Sustainable fashion and saving money are near and dear to my heart, which means, thrifting is one of my favorite pastimes. About 97% of my clothing is from thrift stores and the other 3% consists of basic pieces that every girl needs. 


People come to me all the time explaining how they have trouble finding cute items at thrift stores. So, if this sounds like you, I’m here to help. Thrifting can be easy and enjoyable if you follow these simple tips. Be ready for some major thrifting gains :p 

Give yourself enough time

My number one tip is to NEVER go thrifting when you are short on time or just aren’t feeling it. I have to be “in the mood” to go thrifting. If you aren’t fully motivated to go one day, just wait until you are excited to go. Searching through racks and racks of clothing takes a lot of time and effort but that's the best way to find those hidden gems. 


Have a vision of what you are looking for

I have a Pinterest board and a collection in my saved pictures on Instagram dedicated to things I would like to find while thrifting. This is a great way to stay motivated while and an even better way to save money. Instead of purchasing a brand-new shirt that you have saved on Instagram, try to thrift one that looks similar first! Currently, I am looking for retro overalls:) 

Outfit all thrifted from Goodwill: Top- Urban Outfitters, Bottoms- Levi

Outfit all thrifted from Goodwill: Top- Urban Outfitters, Bottoms- Levi


Go to multiple stores

When I am going on a thrift trip I make a day of it. Going to multiple stores is a must, especially if your first store wasn’t a success. I find that I discover the best stuff at local stores instead of at Goodwill (no hate to Goodwill). But I also love going to the Salvation Army and Urban Cheapskates. 

Secret tip:  If you have a lot of time on your hands, go to thrift stores in higher-income cities. I have found amazing name brand products at thrift stores in these areas!


Be open to trying new things and don’t be afraid of alterations

This is one of my favorite things about thrifting. You can purchase pieces that are out of your comfort zone and turn them into something amazing. From turning an oversize men's shirt into a t-shirt dress or cutting a pair of jeans into shorts, the beauty of thrifting is how you style it! Since the prices are affordable, you can purchase a piece here and there and try different styles and alterations guilt free!

These shorts were jeans before I cut & hemmed the edges.

These shorts were jeans before I cut & hemmed the edges.


Go with friends who also love to thrift

I will admit, sometimes I love going to a thrift store by myself because it's almost therapeutic, but it is a lot of fun to go with someone else who shares the same passion! Look at it this way: you now have double the eyes out looking for all those hidden gems. You can help your friend find pieces that fit their style and vice versa. 



This tip goes along with tip #1 but it is vitally important when thrifting. If you are just skimming through the racks of clothes, the chance that you are going to miss some great items is HUGE!! Take the time to go through each rack of clothing and figure out what you truly like. Something I like to do at first is walk through the isle of clothing to pick out anything that catches my eye right off the bat, but then I go back and search through each item. 


And that's it! Thrifting is a great way to help the environment and your wallet while finding unique pieces that no one else will have. It’s literally a win, win, win! I hope on your next thrifting trip you will try some of these tips and find some amazing items :)


I am really enjoying diving back into my love for fashion and styling clothes, do you guys want to see more? Let me know in the comments below! 


Show me your thrifting finds on Instagram/Instagram Stories using #merakimentality 

Outfit thrifted from Salvation Army: Shorts-Levi

Outfit thrifted from Salvation Army: Shorts-Levi